Monday, 8 September 2014

Thriller production from last year




Evaluation from AS




Introduction:

I will be evaluating the ways my AS media product has been used, created and developed against the challenged forms and conformations of real media products. I will also explain how my media product represents different social groups as well as describing what kind of media institution might distribute my media product and why. I will talk about the principal target audience that I chose for my media product in addition, I will talk about the way I research and planned to attract the target audience. I will finally talk about the several things that I learned related to the media technologies from the process of constructing this product and express my thoughts by comparing the preliminary task and the final project that I have done.

In what way does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media production?

The Returned is the movie that I have created, I have been inspired by several thriller films and series such as ‘Ghost  Whisperer’ and ‘ The Returned ‘.My media product is a thriller movie which is an opening related to thriller movies and bad spiritual apparition, which link to paranormal and tension characters. I have been searching for several different examples of psychological, spiritual movies and most importantly films which succeed.

The ghost child in my production has been inspired by “Ghost Whisperer”, I found this idea really interesting because it links to the stereotype of the thriller and horror movie “antagonist”. It’s used several convention strategies  of horror movies antagonist that it can have such as using black clothes, make up, and light. These several aspects of the mise en scene help the production to seem more like a thriller and horror movie and give it structure and a stereotypical aspect to the character. I decided it would be better to only have one character acting in the thriller opening title sequence, as this would add suspense to the movie itself. Furthermore, I decided that if  is setting out to the transition between the good and bad spirit.


The movie that I have done challenged me in several way regarding the regular conventions of a psychological horror thriller movies. My idea was split into several aspect which were spiritual, romance and horror. The movies has been challenge  by the spirit apparition with the portrayed of spirit and ghost. With the helped of the final cut pro to edit and make my work seem more professional. After the research that I have done, it help me to understand and make the characters more horrific and creepy with the editing.  By analyzing the other thriller movie and using the advice given by Alfred Hitchcock ensure that my opening product followed the same tactics but at the same time being different from all the film by giving a touch or personal desired. The common tactic that I used to make my thriller kind of the same as others is the creepy tension, dark and scary evil atmosphere. Another way that challenged me within this opening product is to make sure that the audience could clearly understood the scene and message send. However, link to the props and mise en scene was the challenging part that brought a lot of issues to link to the message that I wanted to come out, therefore I tried to take example of other horror films. Other horror films will try to adapt their costumes to the time, the genre of film and sound so  I then decide to do the same and use specific items that would make my film stand such as mirror or candle. Due to the child apparition in the film I decided to not use that much equipment such as knife or blood . As I decided to have two characters in my opening production I think that I had more ability to ensure that all costume and make up would be efficient.

How does your media product represent different social group?


My groups’ production meets the conventions of a stereotypical thriller opening title sequence, achieved by using lighting, which adds mystery to the opening title sequence- and costumes, which are abnormal to everyday life due to being connoted with witches and evilness, because they add a sense of fear within the victims in horror movies; which makes the target audience empathies with the victims, getting them on the edge of their seats for what is going to happen next.

 According to the way the character is dressed, we WERE able to connote the confusing tension in what she is influenced one main social group portrayed is the young women who as  strong believe but however seem vulnerable I think that the evilness and mystery are the two main conventions of an opening title sequences in reason that that add a sense of creepy atmosphere within the victims in horror movies. The young  people are more likely to be sensible and easy to influence link to their stage of maturity.

Through this film opening  the female character is portrayed as vulnerable but also is the villain character, which can be confusing and difficult to understanding for the audience. The character also helps to portray  the young and innocent  female in the social group in the way that she studies and have certain believe. For example at first when the light  and the bible present denotes the serenity in her mind but further more as the opening film advances,  trouble and creepy sounds come up till night time is coming up. Young female adult are also portrayed as people who like dreaming and are innocent and relatively considered as victims . The manner that the character  is dressed in the first part is a portrayal of young women however in the second part we are able to establish a certain difference by wearing black clothes and  using black make up to present the character is  feeling and expressing the other  evil side.

Who would be the audience for your media product?

The target audience for my opening sequence are teenager and adult from the age 16 to 24 and over. I have chosen this age group regarding the legislation rules and the BBFC. Because I cast a child in my opening sequence, I was unable to include dangerous props such as knives, candles, blood etc..

For my media coursework I produced an opening title sequence, I have been inspired by some really good thriller films. Inspired by some excellent resources and their production, I tried to create a unique production. With the use of effect and specific camera shoot and angle that they use to make their opening title look professional.  I have used conventions at each stage by using a specific title related to thriller film for example I tried to use fantasist and weird title color and font to ensure that it will suit the production made.  My media production represent the people who like thriller movies, my target audience is above the age of 16 males and females. The image that I have used throughout the product is split into different age due to the reason that this media product audience  target both sex male and female.  I have aimed my final product to be for male and female as I wanted to attract a wider target audience. In order to attract and touch the target audience I made several research which people will like.

In fact the target audience are more likely to be young because they like and are fans of the genre linked to our film opening. Most of the male audience watch psychological horror genre and the female audience romance genre. After some survey research related to the favorite thriller genre I found that 50% of them vote for psychological horror. The fact remains that young age audience enjoy watching fictional stories because they like imagine themselves in another world by imagine their self in the film or in the character situation. I personally as a young woman don’t like watching thriller films, however I realized my opening product was interesting the more it came together because me as an actor and retaliator could imagine my self with the character which was pretty exciting.


What  have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?

I have learned several different things  such as the editing and the filming. The editing process as been really complicated to organised and learn because link to my videos I had the opportunity to have the own choice. I believe that the editing final cut pro gave me loads of option to ensure that my thriller opening film. Comparing to the primarily task I found the opening film much more easy  because, I have experience by having used different strict rule such as 180-degres rule which mean that  the shot reverse shot must stay to a 180 degrees angle. The editing part help me to understand and create my own desire film which is also relate to the sound which will give the atmosphere and a mood to the film I use several sound on the back ground of my film to ensure that it will be stand out compared to other film. During the editing process I tried several sound and  effect to make sure that I created the best opening sequence.


No comments:

Post a Comment